Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Sum Of All Fears

They were crawling below the unbderbush. Tired and sweaty. "Come on, Pavi...a few more miles and we are through", Vinod implored. Pavi knew it wasn't true, but after seeing the way Musheer and Vinay were taken down, she did not care for rest. Clutching her gun close to the chest she crawled further, inch by inch.

---
"It wil be fun!", Harish was exclaiming, "You guys have just a day with us and why waste it by sitting at a coffee shop and yapping; which we do anyways over chat and mail!". She could see that Vinod was on his side, he too liked the idea of having a day in the outdoors as he had been cooped up since the time they visited India. She could see the merits but for a reason she could not quite fathom, felt uneasy. She looked at Musheer and Vinay. Vinay was as usual a fence sitter but Musheer, maybe sensing her unease, said "Yeah da! It sounds fun. With the jungle all around and you, i don't know...hanging out sounds like a perfect plan to me! What's wrong with hang..."

"...don't be a girl Mush!" Harish snapped, "You know that all this talk about naxals in the jungle are rubbish...and what do you think I would try? Kill you?"

---

And now he was. Pavi couldn't help but shake the feeling that this was all Harish's plan. For one; he had practically disappeared the moment they hit the resort. And Musheer was shot from the front. The red splattered across his chest was a large blob which meant that he was shot up close, he wouldn't allow someone he didn't know to come that close, right?

"What?" She turned to Vinod, "I didn't hear what you said". "I said, we will take a break once we reach that ridge, but we will have to cross it alone. I will sneak along and give you the signal to come across, alright?"

She nodded, barely able to hide her frustration. She dragged him into this and he had endured for so long without complaining and not even for once had he uttered anything about giving up. A surge of affection welled up inside her for her husband and before she could bring herself to say anything he gave her a look. A look that meant he understood and a that it will be over soon. A feeling, though she did not share, was glad that he did.

---
"You okay, right? Vinod asked, "We can cancel this and stay back in the city if you want" She could see that he was serious and even though he liked the idea of gallivanting through the jungle, he would stay back if she did not feel upto it. "Hmmm...Can we?" She asked teasingly and laughed at the flight of expressions across his face; dismay, concern and; when he realized she was kidding; a wide grin.

"Alright, alright...I get it...I will pay the price for this won't I?"

"We'll see"
---

With a quick kiss and a nod, he slowly began to walk, crouching, towards the ridge. There was an open stretch where for a second he was exposed to anyone watching but he quickly crossed it and leaned on a rock; partially hidden from her. She sighed in relief and for a minute had this optimistic thought that they might yet make it.

He looked over to her and smiled, or so she thought and she smiled back. And realized in horror that there was a shape slowly disengaging itself from the cluster of rocks and was rising behind Vinod. She gave a muted scream and realized thta he hasn't noticed it. The form resolved itself to the familiar, and now loathed, shape of Harish. Vinod realised something was wrong when her piercing scream reached his ears and he turned back with his gun raised, a little too late. She heard the chatter of Harish's rifle and saw the blotches, dark and brooding, appear in front of Vinod's chest.

He was falling and then...it was all a blur...she remember pointing her gun and screaming...running down the slope...body powered by rage and thirst for revenge...staring into Harish's eyes and pressing the trigger...seeing the red blob where his head was...jumping on his flailing body and hitting his helmeted head with her gun...

"Pavi, Pavi...whoa!!! Easy!! It's paintball, not wrestle mania!! You win! You win!"

*********************************************************************************

This space means a lot to me. It belongs to me…ONLY me. Its a space that I have complete control over.Its a space where I can speak w/o having anyone interrupt me. N that I like. There have been times when I have been hooked to it and given it lots of attention by writing many posts[one per week ;every week of the month is MANY in my dictionary!], responding to comments on a daily basis and all of that. n then there have been times when I hvn’t visited it in ages. I’ve just let it be;not done anything with it for several weeks. Frankly, I rarely beat myself up or feel guilty about not updating my blog as often as I should. I’ve always been aware n conscious of its existence. Of the fact that I can come here n write what I want n instantly feel better. n that’s all matters to me. After all its MINE.

All you people who have been reading me for several months now. Thank You very much. I won’t lie that the readers..commenters is one other reason that keeps me coming back to my space. As much as jotting my thoughts down makes me feel good; the fact that someone cares to read what I write makes me feel better.

I can’t remember why I started writing back in Dec 2004.Think it was a fad to own blogs then and then I had friends who wrote very well, n who I loved to read. Thus began this journey. Now its no more the fad..the most important reason why I write is ‘coz I want to be able to look back at my life and my thoughts. It’s about coming back to it several years later. Its about capturing some things in words.

So ya in [close to] 5 years…I finally have my 100th post. THIS is it! N of course the dear dear friend who created this space for me n wrote my first post.. is the obvious choice to write my 100th post. He doesn’t blog as much these days.I really wish he blogged more often.

I hope this space continues to live with me!

Okay..tell me honestly..how many of u all could identify that the “Sum of All Fears” wasn’t authored by me? N how/why? Be honest u guys!

21 comments:

P said...

Happy 100th post Pavi! I didn't realize that it was authored by someone else, even though it didn't look like your usual style. I was thinking "hmm Pavi is becoming a very good thriller writer" :) As for the story, I first thought that it will end with "...and then I woke up"..but by the time the description of blood marks started I was sure it was paintball :)

ceedy said...

Congrats....on the hundred....

and I think it is too articulate and well written - its not your free style of jotting your thoughts - one thing that gave it away......

Kiran said...

First of all, congrats Pavi, on completing 100 posts. Sure must be a great feeling! I'm still some distance from this milestone; but considering the recent increase in frequency I hope to reach it soon!

Secondly, I have taken guilt trips myself when I stayed away from my blog for long periods of time (and used "lot of work" as nothing but a very lame excuse!). But hey, I did what I did for a reason; and now I no longer feel guilty if I do neglect my blog for some time due to some pressing reason or due to sheer loss of motivation to write! "Big Deal", I say to myself :)

And now; coming to the "story" part of this post - excellent writing. You kept me wondering and guessing about what happens next! Awaiting the real "travelogue" of the jungle trek sometime in the future ;) .... hey WAIT ... .are you telling me that this story wasn't authored by you????? :D

Meira said...

Simple, it was in third person.
Er...ok ok! I couldn't make out it wasn't you :D
And happy 100 :)

Unknown said...

Congrats Pavi for the 100th post...goodness gracious..u've written a lot dear!!!..
Actually when i read this one...i was thinking ur now copying plumpy's style of writing..where often i need to read more than once to understand..hehe.
He's paid back for the good deed he did for u...thru this 100th post dedicated to him ..very sweet :).
Karma

rayshma said...

heyy... happy 100th! :D glad to be a regular here! :)

couple of things made me wonder abt the post:
a. was in third person... was wondering why you were referring to yourself like that. and whether the next step would be saying "WE", instead of I. :D
b. the writing style. VERY different. thoughts were rather sequential and thought-out. not as spontaneous as you usually are.

well, the explanation abt guest author clarified it all.

here's to great friends! cheerz! :)

Shruti said...

100 posts in 5 years! Pavi!!! :D
well.. better late than never! :)
Sigh.. I'm so glad its not u who wrote it.. coz I had to read the first part so many times to know who got killed!! :P

Jack said...

Pavi,

Congratulations on reaching 100. Every one has own reasons for writing blogs. Mostly it is to let go of your pent up urge to be heard. This is a very healthy way of sharing your emotions, fears or experiences. Now coming to what you wrote, I thought it will end with " then I woke up and dream was over". It seemed nice fiction and I feel you may have written it though most of your posts are of different themes.

Take care

broca's area said...

congrtas for 100th post...:)

u dont write fiction quite often right?...and in this one u have mentioned urself by ur name not i or myself...

celestialrays said...

Congrats on your 100th post!!
I am a newbie here so not able to give any input on the style of writing :|

Shachi said...

Congrats on the 100th post :) I absolutely thought you wrote it....did not pay too much attention :)

Keep the blog live!

harish said...

congratss....so 1 and 100 are mine...now what about 200th?

Mush said...

@Pavi, Do not be scared! Im not a ghost, I survived. Was merely unconscious due to immense blood loss. I need to thank God and the watchman of the resort who rushed me to the hospital in time, and thank you for the brave revenge you took., It hurts to be shot by your best friend !

@Murderer-Harish- Are you just gonna write about this or are we gonna really go in that Jungle and do it and later, come up with the sequel ?!! Been waiting for long now, time for some action - lets paintball !

Preethi said...

congratulations on the 100 lovely lovely posts.. all written with honesty and passion!! :) Sum of all fears was very nice... very well done!! :)

Preethi said...

by the way the last line was directed at Harish.. very well done Harish!

aMus said...

100? that's wonderful..here's to many more, pavi!

i was a bit perplexed by the writing style, but then you cleared that in the end :)

Pavi!!!! said...

@P:)Thanks ..n oh u figured!smart gurl. i didnt see it coming till i read it!

@Ceedy: Thanks. Ya, u nailed it bang on with regard to how I write..i really do simply jot down my thoughts.

@kiran: Thanks n good luck to reach ur milestone! N as far as the story goes..lol!well..i was the inspiration u know ;)

@meira: ooops, obvious! U mean to say :P n thanks!

Pavi!!!! said...

@karma: written a lot? darling..its 100 posts in 5 years… 365*5 days!
Ahaha!im glad someone echoes my sentiments abt his style of writing ;) n he should be very very honored that u thot of him when u read the story n that u know his style of writing so well!

@RayRay: ya..i gues its in a long long time that u were not the 1st commenter on my post.thanks for reading irrespective of how inconsistently I update my blog.

N ya..tht was so obvious tho i never noticed..and .Second point ..im taking it as a compliment!

Pavi!!!! said...

@shruti: u bet ;) n lol..ya thts his style of writing :D His sense of humor is awesome, seriously!

@jack:Thanks. N yaye!i like it that sumone says they can expect me to write anything!

@Broca:Thanks.and no..i don’t think ive EVER written fiction. Yes..i didn’t observe the 3rd person thingy.

@Celestial: Thanks..n keep visiting , then you will know.

@Shachi. Thank u.:) n did not pay much attention huh?!

Pavi!!!! said...

@plumpy: Thank you…n 200 posts?ur talking 5 years down the line?u know wat I feel about planning no? But I do hope some things don’t change!

@Mush: haha! n u guys are yet TRYING to meet?

@preeti: Thank you very much. n will convey the msg to Harish.

@Suma: Thanks :)

Shachi said...

I meant to the writing style and whether it was yours or someone else's....I read it as a story and enjoyed it, and then when I saw your question in the end, I was confused :)