Thursday, March 03, 2011

Just Sayin
I have had so many many many posts in my mind..but life has gotten so busy. Find it hard to make the time to write. Today I’m down with fever, cold, cough and so am working from home..and so using the opportunity to write in my space.

Okay..so last year many of you may have suddenly noticed that girls across the globe were updating their status on FB with the name of a color.. ‘Red’. ‘Blue’. ‘off-white’,’black’. I know I did and was a while before I caught on, and like me many of you may have eventually learnt that this was for breast-cancer awareness and girls had to update the color of their bras. Some people criticized it and the rest said it was a ‘Fun’ way to spread awareness. Personally, I was on the fence and couldn’t make up my mind.
This year.. several messages and emails were sent over the last weekend asking girls to update their status with the name of a fruit depending on what their relationship status was, this again to spread awareness about breast cancer. There were not as many updates as the last time. I wonder why? How is this less fun than putting up ur bra color? I donno, I feel like those who updated their status last year, but didn’t this year…were not really concerned about spreading any kind of awareness! So, Not cool , I say !!

6 comments:

Jack said...

Pavi,

I am not on Facebook, so I can not say anything on this. However I do agree with you that if one was really concerned about spreading awareness, she should have updated status this year too.

Take care

P said...

I was not aware of these FB movements, but I have a question..maybe a dumb one..how does either of these make one more aware of breast cancer?
I agree with you..majority of people rarely care about the real cause :(

Get well soon!

♪♪Happy Go Lucky♪♪ said...

Well you have a point. They should have done it too.
But this year I didnt get the message at all.
But I didn't update it to the color of my bra last year either because I didn't understand how it helped and so i found it stupid.

Pavi!!!! said...

@jack : yes..thats all my point is.

@p: i had the same Q last year...i think the thought behind it is that when one hears abt things in a fun way, then one kinda remembers it for longer. if nto for the fb status updates, breast cancer would not have crossed several minds.

@harini : my overall opinion of it is stupid as well.

Cosmic Joy said...

The FB craze did not make any sense. I dont believe it helped raise cancer awareness or did anything for those suffering.

I came across a blog that really spoke close to how I felt. Check it out.

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/10/07/facebook-wants-to-know-where-i-like-my-purse-heres-where-they/

BTW, welcome back :)

Pavi!!!! said...

P,harini and Jack : i think it spreads awareness in the sense that it forces ppl to think of it coz of the sheer mention of it atleast once a year?!