Tuesday, May 20, 2008

A Date with Your Honor

(Sorry this one got too long, couldn’t help it)

I’m guessin u’ll be wondering what am I talking about, who am I talking about? Well, as soon as I say “Your Honor” who comes to ur mind??............................ If it’s the Judge, then ur right, that’s who I’m talking about!

Now ur wondering why on earth did Pavi go on a date with a judge?? Well, I didn’t have a choice….so here is the story of how it all happened!

So it was one of those Sundays in Feb when V had to travel on work. Now I’m kinda used to V traveling once in a few weeks, its been close to a year since we are following this routine..but everytime he has to travel I get tensed about how I’m gonna spend the rest of the Sunday and the week! The week actually fly’s by, thanks to work n blogs n chat…but I don’t like any part of the weekend without V. Not sure I’ll ever get used to it…. Anywez…

So V was traveling on United to Vermont. He had checked in online the previous day but could not get a seat. He had a confirmed ticket of course, so nothing to worry about. He left home around 1:45 pm for a 4:45 pm flight. It was about an hour and a half drive to the airport n then he had to park his car and take a shuttle to the main terminal. No check-in luggage. The security lines are unpredictable n that day it was long . Now DC airport sucks! From the main terminal to the other terminals one has to take another shuttle. But of course V had nothing to worry about coz’ he had a confirmed ticket and he had checked in online. He didn’t need more time than he had!

He reaches his gate around 4 pm .The line to the helpdesk at the gate was really long n V waits patiently to get his seat number. Eventually at about 4:20 pm they tell him hez on Stand By and mostly he will not be able to get on that flight as they already have too many people waiting. Now V was beyond shocked ‘coz this ticket was booked like 3 weeks back! The next flight they could put him on was Tues afternoon. Before that all their flights were fully booked.

Right at this time, I call him ‘coz I’m worried that I haven’t got the call to say he’s reached the gate. He tells me what happened n I immediately call United helpdesk. They tell me this kinda stuff is impossible! I mean what audacity!!!! Like I’m so jobless to call up United n make up some fancy story of this sorts!(In my younger days I might have done it.But not this time!I had a confirmation number to prove myself!) They said they can’t help much and he should contact the Airport authorities!! They had clearly overbooked the flight! I figured no point in wasting time with them n tried to look for alternative flights. But none seemed feasible.

V was already in the line for the Airport Helpdesk which was another long queue. It was 4:45 n obviously V’s flight took off without him! The only thing the Airport authorities had to tell V, when he eventually reached the helpdesk was “sorry” and that he could rebook his ticket for a date convenient to him! How generous!! They had no tickets available for that day n so V just rescheduled the trip for 3 weeks later and decided to drive down to Vermont!

He calls me around 6 pm to say that he has booked a rental car n will be driving down to Vermont. Now I was furious. This just didn’t make sense!! It was a 9-10 hrs drive and I didn’t want V driving alone. I was gonna work from home that week, so I told V to come home n pick me up and that we two will drive together. Then I ran in to have a shower (yeah, it was a lazy Sunday n I hadn’t showered till the evening!), packed my bag, n some stuff to eat etc n got ready.

It was 8:30 pm when V reached home, thanks to the traffic, n we set off on the long drive! It was past midnight n we both just wanted to reach Vermont. We thought the evening/night couldn’t get worse. Murphy’s Law has never been so much in action as on that day! N then things did get worse!!

A cop car’s lights flashing at us! Our first time! V’s first time in 3.5 yrs! Sigh! He was doin a 100 on a 60 speed limit. It was 2 AM. There was no soul on the road. We didn’t expect this! V is very tactful while driving fast. He alwez knows when to slow down. His eyes rarely miss the cops. But alas that day was dedicated to troubles! The cop was ruthless. He gave us 6 points and imposed a fine!(sob)

We reached the hotel tired n worn out at about 5:30 AM. Hit the bed and started Monday morning at about 8 AM. Since then V kinda sticks to speed limits! All of it was just too stressful!

6 out of 10 points was too much to have on the license. If he got 10 points his license would be suspended. n so we decided to plead guilty. We made up a fancy story to justify ourselves. (The story will make this long post longer..so I’ll skip it!) Our court date was May 13, in Albany! V would make me watch Judge Judy and say “This is how it will be. Be prepared”. For those who haven’t seen the show that Judge is awfully mean!n entertaining!! If ur in the US n have never seen that show, ur missing sumthing!!!

On May 13 things were not too bad. I mean, it could have been worse. We told our story to the lawyer and the points were reduced from 6 to 3 and a fine of 175$ was imposed!

Once we come out of the court all that V has to say is “How boring is the Judge’s job! He just has to read out what the lawyer has scribbled for him on the paper!!” Nothing as exciting as what we thought happenend. Hmmmm…… A boring date indeed!!!

27 comments:

P said...

Wow that was some experience! But it should be the airlines people having a date with the judge. I don't know how they keep doing such things and get away with it day after day!

--xh-- said...

uh ho.. a speeding ticked is just waht murphy had in store after the day... gald that the judge reduced the points.. do anotehr blog on teh story - would love to read it :)

Gunjan Aylawadi said...

omg...hw i wish we had such strict rules in india....sab sudhar jaate ;)

Vrijilesh Rai said...

Whoa.. so much action..

And yep, airlines overbooking is a huge menace. But I guess there must be some law which makes them accountable for that. A valid ticket that cannot be travelled on is like a bounced cheque. If the latter can lead to prosecution, so should the former.

Keshi said...

Not bad at all then :)

I got a ticket for $179 recently, not for Speeding..but for parking in a No-Parking zone - I was there only for 2mins and the mofos pounced on me :(

Keshi.

busy-writer said...

whoa, wow..the traffic rules are thaat strict there?? gosh! and hehe, i've love to know the stry that you guys made up. ;)

Ramya Ramadurai said...

i have been to court once myself. on a noise charge!!
anyway, glad the points got reduced... :)

ceedy said...

isnt this unfair...of fair for you...

NYC tickets are so freaking expensive parking alone is 125.00....whereas NY state let you go off for 175.00 - thats good in a way - well now you have to shelve out the insurance for next 5 years tho...

well what happened with you with United...sucks...I was at the airport for 5 hours recently cause my flight to Texas was coming from florida and the crew from raleigh and they were all late....

Ankur said...

hahaha... the last part sounds funny to me but didnt u try to sue United for the mistake they made???

and thank god that the judge reduced the points!!!

Cheers!!!

Arunima said...

oh! My aunt is a judge.

Anonymous said...

Haha.. we dnt have to worry about this in india....though if at all u get messed up and reached court then there is no hope of recuding "points" like it happened to u... the points just go up...!!!!

Solitaire said...

A judge that saved you some money and waived off so many points should be worshipped and not called boring. :)

Anonymous said...

175 $ ka fine, thats huge almost 7000 Indian bucks :O.

In India we get away by paying close to 100-200 bucks for chai-pani to the pandu / mamu / thulla and freeeeeeee :))

not boring as u say, adventurous and yes one day nothing goes right, this was jst one of those days ;))

cm chap said...

Ha Ha.. Bottomline, Pavi got away with jst 175 USD... Lucky u.

It reminds me of my journey b/w Toronto to NJ...

Pavi!!!! said...

@XH: haha..k will do sumtime

@Gunj: Hmm...well ya actually such rules are kinda good for india.

@Vrij : Welcome to my place :)
n yeah! we shld think of filing a case agnst them!

Pavi!!!! said...

@Keshi :( ohoh..sorry about that!

@Busywriter :( yeah, n tht one cop was super-kadoos! will share the story sumtime.

@Gladriel : Noise charge mathlab????u made too much noise n were fined for it???pls write abt this!pls pls!

Pavi!!!! said...

@Ceedy: oye, dont cast ur evil eyes!! n yeah:( our insurance has increased!

i tell u..the air-service in the US sucks. India is so much better. From Feb 06 to june 06 every wknd i used to fly in and out of Newark..n every single time my flight wld get delayed or cancelled! Everytime some fancy weather or crew reason!it used to be soooooooo frustratin!

Pavi!!!! said...

@Ankur: yes we did thank the almighty! n yeahhhhhh we shld consider sueing united.

@Arunima: Welcome to my place. This judge was a man. so really, i din't call ur aunt boring!

@Samby: yeah india mein, u just hv to bribe the cop in most cases

Pavi!!!! said...

@Sol: The judge just read what the lawyer wrote.really. But yes we worship the lawyer, splly V. She was a real nice looking lady!Hez feeling bad tht he didn't offer to take her out for coffee!!

@Ashu: Convert mat karo pls..then the amt seems so huge :(
n yeah boring coz i expected more action n drama in the court ;-)

Preeti Shenoy said...

:) an adventure and a lesson learnt (?)

Solitaire said...

@ Pavi,

Let's not forget that the air service in India sucked big time a decade ago. It was only when I returned in 2005 that I realized that they have so many cheap and frequent airlines now!! I guess that day is not far away when India will also rapidly deteriorate their standards considering the way things are going.

ceedy said...

@pavi!!!!!

wat evil eyes....I have paid a lot for 4 yrs as I had a totalled car in the first year...

and about air service...I cant say much about India...as I only fly Jet and get a special treatment....even if the flight is late....

Ekta said...

oh my!
Quite an adventurous evening must say...but well as long as u guys gotta spend time togther...all worth it..aint it?

Anonymous said...

Have u ever said...cop ko shuru me hi..lol...bahi paise le lo...hahah even if her is a bribe wala banda... he gets offended.."aapne hame kya samajh rakha hai" and then takes teh bribe after a few mins and acts as if he is doing ehsaan....LOL...

samby

Pavi!!!! said...

@PS: lesson learnt yes!

@Sol: yeah airlines is def. detoriating in india..i wish they thought thru n chose the things they ape!

@Ceedy: haha!spl treatment n all. BTW wher have u been?Busy?

@Ekta: YES!!! thts the way we felt..we din't have to stay away for an entire week, was our only consolation!

Pavi!!!! said...

@Samby : i know! God knows when bribery will stop in india!

ceedy said...

Yup busy @work...

will catch up on the weekend