Monday, February 18, 2008

Docs… Life Savers?

I read a story on Ceedy’s blog (http://ceedyreflections.blogspot.com/) and its about a doc saving lives. The subject of the story made me write this post which has been on my mind for a while now.

At some point of time in one’s life, when a grandparent, sibling, parent, friend is saved a Doctor becomes as good as the God himself! One trusts the doc so much when the life of a near and dear one is dependent on him. If he manages to save a life, he is God in the human form! I’m sure its not an easy job! Reporting the right numbers to my client within a given time is stressful for me so I can imagine the kind of stress a doc would have when the Life and Death of a person is dependent on him!

So given all this, I believe we all should respect and be understanding of a doctor’s profession. I believe a Doctor’s job is one of the most rewarding and satisfying job.To bring new lives into existence and to renew dying lives must be gratifying!

I feel a Doctor should also respect his job. He should perform it truly and not take advantage of his position. He must comprehend the duty and responsibility his profession commands and the amount of trust placed on him.

Not very long back one of my doc friends, (A psychiatrist in CA) told me that a colleague of his was fired for misbehavior. His colleague had been taking physical advantage of the mentally ill patients visiting him.
Now, this is extremely disturbing to me. It’s not the first time I’m hearing about this kind of an incident. I’ve heard it many times and seen news on TV about it and read about it, but this kind of news never fail to shock me!

On the Dateline program I saw an episode where an American doctor (pediatrician) practicing in another country physically abusing little girls and boys who came in as his patients. The extent of physical abuse is hard to explain in words without being too explicit. And how screwed up is the law, all they could do is revoke his license, the law doesn’t permit them to arrest him ‘coz he was practicing in another country!

I have heard of gynecologists feeling the women (their patients) in all the wrong places.

We all have heard of doctors who steal organs from patients and make money of it.

When I think thru some of these cases I began to feel “Capital Punishment” is not such a bad idea after all!

Careless doctors are another story. My mom’s colleague’s right leg was operated upon instead of the left leg. The Anesthesia wears off before the operation is over. (There was a movie “Awake”, on this recently). Incorrect medicines are prescribed. Over-dosage of medicine kills the patient. (Read about an over-dosage killing a 1 yr old about a month back)

Yes the doctors invest plenty of time and money into their studies, but if all that one wants to do is make money, then the medical profession is not well-suited for them! There is a code of ethics in every job and it must be followed to some decent extent!

PS: Such specimens do not take away the respect I have for doctors who perform their job honestly, The True Life Savers!

14 comments:

Sukanya said...

doctors r actualy slowly losing the repsect of thr proffession. n its all thr fault. same as is d case with lawyers. being in d law field i hv sn tht people's lives depnd comepletely on d mood of d lawyer. wether he is happy with his client.. if he's bn givn enuf fee etc. let them not work for charity but just maintain a lil humanity.
very important topic it is..

Solitaire said...

I think thats why they have lawsuits in place. However, no amount of money won in a lawsuit can replace a life or an organ.

Mush said...

Corruption is everywhere.. this is the modern developed age. Capital punshment .. yes conmen like these do deserve !

Pavi!!!! said...

yes...humanity is what is missing in so many humans these days!

n no money can't buy lives!

This is more than corruption..its obscene.. the very thot that a doc could rape a patient is repulsive to me!

bharat chandran said...

I think we should never forget that doctors are ‘human’ with all the vulnerabilities of being human. Most of them start the profession by dreaming of saving lives.

But, after they get into routine tensed life, there are chances that they go wild for one reason or another. It is not just in doctors but in all other professions.

In a social perspective the impact that doctors create is so immense, since people trust them with their lives. It is up to the society to create a mechanism to identify and isolate the atrocious ones. If they can be ‘cured’, they could still be brought back!

May be some day we would have a feedback mechanism which will automate the blacklisting of such doctors! – In such a world none will operate right leg for some problem in left leg!

Pavi!!!! said...

@ Bharath - Thanks for dropping by.

Well of course they are human but their job is such that 1 small mistake could cause more than a millions of dollars..it could cause a LIFE !
Its like how a car crash is kind of ok but airplane crash is a definite no-no. The six-sigma principle, if u know wat i'm talking about!

N it is one mammoth task to identify the atrociuos ones...not easily done and anywez new ones will keep coming!The only soultion is the person's conscinece!

n cured?would u let ur sister visit a doc who has been known to physically abuse his patients and no more does?I wouldn't !

bharat chandran said...

I don’t know whether 'cured' people would be accepted back to the society. I mean it is not just in the case of doctors. It is a common attitude towards people who does a mistake once and who changed.

May be there are chances that they would be normal after the treatment but who can assure it?

By the way is there anyway to assure that the doctors who are ‘good’ will never change and show another face when you go for a diagnosis?

I feel the black listed, doctors are not normal though they are human. I might even say that they are having some ‘mental disorder’, when compared to the normal beings in the society. So if one of our close friends goes into a disordered state due to some kind of shock, will we leave them for ever?

I think it is some what a similar condition for those who are close to these people. I mean none will dare to be close to such people, still there would be some people who still keep the hope that they might change some day and be back (into normal state) as they were before.

And it is that hope that keeps many such alive!

rayshma said...

heyy! i'm blog-rolling u... hope u don't mind! was reading thru ur entire space... and realized i like it and wud like to read more! :)

Neetal said...

@ pavi: I finally put up the kulfi recipe for you on my blog ... and me thinking of adding you up on my tinklers list...

hope you enjoy it... as much as i did :)

Pavi!!!! said...

@ Rayshma & Neeku.. Thanks for adding me to ur blog rolls. feels great :-)

ceedy said...

nice write up....its life right....bad apples and good apples no matter what apples are still delicious......

this is not about doctors - ethics and personal control is and can be an issue in any field and thanks for mentioning my blog

Rho Tau GWIS said...

I think part of the problem is that as you mentioned, doctors were (I think they WERE in the past) considered second to God, because they saved lives. People built them up so much, that when reality hit, it was a HUGE shock. Doctors are in fact humans, just like the rest of us, and they are NOT prone to mistakes. Don't get me wrong, I'm not condoning their mistakes. Its just that people find it so much more difficult to cope with mistakes of doctors, because they expect doctors ONLY to be life-savers and nothing else.

That is the reason why malpractice insurance is so high, to account for all those lawsuits!!

Satish Bolla said...

well, as one of my predecessors pointed out "doctors are humans too". in fact, they r humans before u can even call them doctors. and as always, bad gets more publicity than good. the baddy doctors u pointed out might b just a meager percentage of the entire doctors.
but whatever it might be, these people must be castrated and this should be made public to everyone. sorry buddy, thought of writing a lot more, but time's not permitting me

Pavi!!!! said...

@ Satish.. thanks for visiting and spending the time to comment :-)

yup i do u'stand docs are humans..thats explanation for 1 half of the probs but not the other half..wherein they are misusing their profession and abusing their patients!