Saturday, February 09, 2008

Today evening I was at the Mandir and suddenly this old "aunty" looks at me and says "Are you married?You look so young" A li'l surprised to be questioned randomly by a stranger I said "Yes". Guess she figured from my Mangalsutra. Next Q "What's ur age"..I'm embarassed but don't know how to tell a lady as old as my grandmother "Mind ur own business", so i tell her my age.Then she proceeds to say/scream "Its hard to believe ur "x" yrs old or that ur married. U look 18 or 19.Your so small." I'm confused about whether I should feel complimented or insulted!

At this point I want to flee but just take one step backward. she continues to question me... talking and laughing so loud, I felt all the people in the temple were looking at us .

"Is the guy who was with u ur husband? " I say a meek "Yes ". She says "You both look like kids.so young.How long have u been married for?" I say "Over a year" and can't take it anymore, I start walking away..As a parting shot she screams at me "Have a baby soon" !!!!

I was furious and embarassed as people around me gave me sympathetic looks ,wicked smiles and uncontrollable giggles!!!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

damn this so called senior ppl who r aged but kids by brain!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey paavi, i added you on the blogroll......rt now it appears way below cos of some problems with the rss feeds on blogrolling.com.........

i have added u on 2nd blogroll, u r just fine buddddy!!!!

Sukanya said...

ohh!! GOD!! mouldies are soo super frustratin!!! they knw exactly hw to make u embarassed!!!
oldies who came for haldi-kumkum on sankranti.. infact on any festival.. the only blessing they cn thnk of for me is.. "get married soon" "may u have a good husband" etc.. etc..
no1 thinks tht m planning to give my civils n maybe i need sum blessing in tht area too..!!!

hey.. m addin ur link too :)

Solitaire said...

Its the same story everywhere...

Pavi!!!! said...

Well Said Solitare - same story everywhere!

@Ashu.. Thank uuuuuuuuuuu :-)(I get kicked over li'l things!!)

@knatchbulley - oh yes, thats the blessing u'll start getting some 5 odd yrs before ur ready for marriage!
n here u go... Good luck for ur civils... :-)
Thanks for addin me on ur blogroll :-)

Cosmic Joy said...

Now that was very hilarious :)

I can also sympathize with you .. but just take it in the right spirit and you will see the humour!

And stay away from "old aunties" the next time you are in a mandir :)

Mush said...

aww.. thats embarassing but an incident u can look back and smile at sometime.

by the way .. changed my blog look for u .. :)

>0< hugzz

ceedy said...

hehehe....

you should have thrown her off and told her you were 16 or smg and that your husband is 17 and were married bcos our families had promised each other....years back....

going to add you to blogroll...ope you dont mind

Pavi!!!! said...

@Mush - Thanks!

@ Ceedy - haha, thats a good idea , but i was overcome with a zillion other emotions, of which humor was definetly not one!!!
n regarding adding me to ur blog roll... mind??I'm thrilled... Thank You :-)

Pavi!!!! said...

@ Cosmic - Wish i had a choice about staying away... they just hunt u down!

aneri_masi said...

Hey...wandered over here from Anjuli's blog -> Solitaire's blog.
Funny and embarrassing! I had a similar experience (maybe worse, actually). I got married in December, and was at my in-law's place when this "relative" comes over. We show her the wedding pics, and she says, you guys look so young, like little kids. This is almost like child marriage! I smile, ma-in-law smiles. She looks at some more pics, repeats her comments, and then says, you two look like kids, like brother-sister! I'm looking at her, I am amused and speechless, then at ma-in-law, also speechless, who thankfully finds her voice soon and asks the lady to stop with the crap already! whew! People! I was more amused than embarrassed though, she just made such a fool of herself!

Am adding you to my blog roll :)

Pavi!!!! said...

@ Aneri - Thanks for visiting :-)

Haha, bro-sis..man some people's brains are so rusted!:-)

aneri_masi said...

Either rusted, or overactive! They think too much :)

Unknown said...

yayyyyy Pav..firstly its my first comment:). By the way, the woman must have annoyed you for sure, but i say again 'HAVE A BABY!!':D..u know why!..(i hope u dont curse me like the ol'woman ;) ):*

Unknown said...

yayyyyy Pav..firstly its my first comment:). By the way, the woman must have annoyed you for sure, but i say again 'HAVE A BABY!!':D..u know why!..(i hope u dont curse me like the ol'woman ;) ):*